Monday, August 30, 2010

The bittersweet flavor of disappointment…

I’ve never been a connoisseur when it comes to culinary skills. My family can vouch for me in that regard. Years ago, my sister and I decided to take on the task of making an anniversary cake for my parents. You’d better believe we worked HARD to make it as unforgettable as we possibly could, and I know for a fact that cake is well-remembered today. I will be honest and say that I cannot remember whether or not the cake tasted good or if we even ate it. If we did, I am surprised one of us is not missing a tooth due to the many sprinkles and decorative silver balls and other such ornamental toppings covering the thick layer of frosting. However, despite not remembering how the cake tasted, I do remember making it. I remember how I laughed with my sister and how we “just knew it would be delicious” and that “Mom and Dad would love this cake”… right down to the bright orange frosting. How we concocted such a florescent color, I may never know.

Another one of my favorite cooking stories occurred when I attempted, please take note of the word “attempted”, to make brownies. Now, I know there are many individuals who would say, “You can’t go wrong with a mix from a box”, but I have always been the kind of girl who enjoyed going against the grain. So, of course, I went wrong. My brother enjoys telling the story of how we had to throw away the pan.

I am reminiscing because, over the past weekend, I have had a lot of time to be still, which of course leads to much thinking. I was pondering the events of the past few weeks, and how, so often, my life is very much like the previously mentioned stories. All the ingredients are present; they’ve all been tossed into the bowl, and yet nothing turns out quite like I expect. I ask myself, “Why? Everything is in place, and it seems so ‘right’. What now?”

Alas, the answer arrives... ever so slowly… and I shudder.

Patience. To put it bluntly, this attribute is NOT an area of strength for me. In fact, just the word is a loathsome expression within my vocabulary. So is the word “wait”. I try to avoid them both, but I have learned, and usually the hard way, that sometimes waiting is an unavoidable necessity. For example, *WARNING do NOT try this at home*, I tried to grill chicken faster by turning up the heat twice as high and cooking it for half the time needed at the lower temperature. The end result was a burnt chicken with a very cold and very pink center. All the ingredients were there. I had done my part. I just had to wait.

So, over the last few weeks, certain events have taken place. Things have appeared to seem “right”; all the ingredients were in the bowl and in just the right place at just the right time and in such a way that would never allow me to take responsibility or question the contents of the recipe... supposedly. Have you ever tasted something and thought it was delicious only to discover that once the “secret ingredient” was added, it was absolutely divine?

I seriously believe that God looks upon us and has a good chuckle to Himself at the pettiness of His humans. I’m not one to follow recipes to the “T”. In fact, I love a secret ingredient, and I rarely measure things at all; that’s what the “eye” is for, right? BUT, if I’m completely honest with myself, I must admit there are some things in life that have to be done “just so”, and I guess if I really want a delicious chicken, I’m going to have to wait. Afterall, what good is rushing things if all I’m going to get is raw chicken with a burnt “shell”?

“Let God grill your chicken. It’ll be the best you ever had.”

Oh yes, I know the comment was cheesy, but I am perfectly OK with “cheese” as long as it is intentional.

And preferably sharp-cheddar.


“The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him.” –Lamentations 3:25

"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." -Psalm 27:14

PS- I have come quite far in my culinary skills, and if you should so desire, will most willingly cook a delicious chicken for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment