Monday, May 16, 2011

Growing Up Goes Slow


On Thursday, I am turning 30. Today, I am most definitely wrestling with that reality. I’ve never been a fan of numbers. In fact, much of my life has been spent doing battle with them, often failing quite miserably. I distinctly remember bringing home a math exam with a bright red “54” printed on the top. Oh, the agony! However, I will never forget my parents’ response: “At least you got half right!” One would think that my immediate thought would be, “oh yeah”, but those who are mathematically challenged like me will appreciate that I still had to process that 54% is greater than 50%, and, therefore, greater than half. Only then could I say, “oh yeah”.


So, back to the big 3-0. Did you see the shiver ripple down my spine as I shuddered at the thought? I don’t look old. Sometimes I don’t act old, and I certainly don't feel old. Maybe 30 isn’t really that old… maybe. Over the past few weeks, I have been identifying some of the top reasons why turning 30 is going to be the best birthday ever! I decided it would be a good idea to come up with 30 reasons. A bit cliche, I know, but I couldn't resist. Here they are, in no particular order.


1. I get to say, “I remember when I was in my 20s”. I can officially say I'm a "grown-up"... nominally, of course.

2. It is a milestone birthday.

3. I get 10 whole years to prepare for 40.

4. I get to check a new age group box on forms.

5. 30’s are today’s new 20’s (Thank you, Desperate Housewives).

6. I have a really good reason to celebrate BIG for this birthday!

7. 30’s are the best years for a female vocalist.

8. Turning 30 is a novelty… way better than 21.

9. I’m another year closer to being “student loan” free!

10. I have plenty of time to grow accustomed to being called “ma’am” or “that lady”.

11. I have realized that I am not missing much if I go to bed before midnight (unless, of course, I am celebrating my 30th birthday).

12. When I get carded it is a compliment instead of them not thinking I am old enough.

13. All the life lessons I learned in my 20s, I can now apply to my life.

14. All of my high school and college clothes are back in style.

15. Time waits for no man, but it stands still for a woman of 30 (paraphrased from Robert Frost)

16. I have amazing friends and the best family ever.

17. More disposable income (although to where it's thrown, I'm not sure).

18. People will take me seriously now that I am 30.

19. I can laugh on the inside (and some on the outside) when people can’t believe I am 30.

20. I now have many years of experience being an adult, and I can now advise my parents.

21. I can be president in five years.

22. I am healthy, well, and oh-so-happy-to-be-alive!

23. I will no longer have zits. I will only have to worry about wrinkles and graying hairs.

24. When I was younger 30 was OLD, now I feel 30 is young.

25. Santa doesn’t consider age, just behavior… (I may still be in trouble J)

26. I have embraced the reality that guilt is often an unnecessary emotion.

27. I am completely comfortable living life with my personalized theme music.

28. I am privileged enough to be 30 and have two jobs that I absolutely love.

29. Old enough to know better and still too young to care.

30. Rock and Roll Never Forgets




Thursday starts the best time of my life.
Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment